Sports coaching in Sri Lanka
Working in partnership with the Sri Lankan NGO called SPEED (Sport for Peace, Education, Empowerment and Development) we offer high impact volunteering opportunities through our Sports Development programme. Travelteer facilitates this unique programme by working at “grass roots level" on development initiatives and talent identification. Our aim is to unlock the potential of disadvantaged children through the provision of skilled volunteers and funding of equipment and facilities.
Travelteer’s Sport programme has been designed to unlock potential and maximise development by working in alignment with SPEED's national aims and goals. The Sports Development Programme has been formulated using a pilot programme (Nagenahiru Sports programme) that has been successfully implemented in several schools in the Trincomalee area. Travelteer and SPEED aim to build and strengthen the initial pilot programme through the use of UK volunteers.
Travelteer implements its volunteer led programme in two districts; Galle (South West) and Trincomalee (North East), five schools have been selected in each district. Volunteers work in teams of up to four to plan and initiate daily activities for the programmes. Each volunteer team is assigned a specific school and long term volunteers mentor short term volunteers to provide cohesion and continuity of the programme.
Role of the volunteer:
- Planning – Volunteers will have their own input into the Travelteer’s Sports programme by planning and implementing their own coaching plans and activities.
- Coaching – Work in groups of 2+ to put your plans into action! Help coach the students to achieve their full potential.
- Observe – Monitor the performance of the students and record their progress.
- Reporting – Report all progress and performance into the programme’s database. This allows us to identify talent and maximise the effectiveness of the whole programme. This is key to ensure continuity from the exchange of role from one volunteer to another.
Remember the Travelteer team will always be here to lend a hand if you need assistance with any of your roles!
- Spending money
- Passport – with minimum 6 months to expiry date.
- Sports Kit
- Mosquito repellent
- Sun screen
Skills and expertise required
- Our programme requires volunteers with skills related to sports and education. These volunteers will focus on specific training plans aimed at more advanced students and their sport.
- However, we need all motivated volunteers to help conduct the programme for “early stage” pupils. So, as long as you’re enthusiastic we will have plenty for you to do!
- You will need to be physically fit and healthy.
- Aged 18 +
- Criminal background check.
Sustainability and Impact in Sri Lanka
Travelteer and SPEED have established a five year implementation plan for the Sports development programme with a clear end goal. We strive to create a route for disadvantaged children to university via sport. Travelteer works at ‘grass roots level’ whilst aligned to SPEED national goals. To achieve sustainability of the programme, we encourage long term volunteers to teach and train local staff to continue the programme. The Travelteer Foundation use's money fundraised by volunteers to provide schools with sports equipment and improve their facilities.
Benefit for volunteers
- Experience - Take yourself outside of your comfort zone and expose yourself to new experiences.
- Transferable skills - Learn vital skills that will benefit you in your future career.
- Employability - Enhance your CV with degree related experience and set yourself apart from the crowd!
- Travelteer Veteran- return to the projects as a Team Leader.
Sports Development Programme dates
Duration: 2 weeks +
- Winter break (8th January 2017 - February 2017)
- Easter break (March 2017 - May 2017)
- Summer (Late May 2017 - September 2017)
Schools are closed for holidays during the months of December, April and August. During this time our school holiday programme will run with lots of different events and activities happening through the weeks!
Begin your volunteering adventure in Sri Lanka...
Apply today for one of our four volunteering programmes! Simply click on your programme below and fill out the short application form. It only takes 2 minutes!!